Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:17:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Haskin <haskin@ptway.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Brian Haskin wrote:
% > > 2.2-STABLE (where we are today)
% > > 2.2.5-BETA (for while we are in BETA on the branch)
% > > 2.2.5-RELEASE (when you finally roll the puppy up)
% > > 2.2.5-STABLE (after you roll the release).
%
% Why this seems rather logical and easy to follow at least to me a
% newbie.

Why?  If we were in the 2.2.2-STABLE branch right now, it might make
some sense.  But we're not.  We're in 2.2-STABLE.  It's a development
branch, not a specific release, and the naming scheme fits the
development paradigm rather well I think.

There is no 2.2.5 branch where a -stable tree could be tracked, its
just a specific release from the 2.2 branch.  So 2.2.5-stable wouldn't
make any sense.

Murray Stokely