Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:23:18 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Von Essen <essenz@beck.quonix.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fundraising for FreeBSD development.

At 5:18 PM -0400 4/8/04, John Von Essen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Have a few questions for you. Would the fund raising be handled
>through FreeBSD or direct to you?

He has answered that.  Funding direct to PHK.

Please  READ  the web page that you quoted from his original
message:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/funding.html

>Are you taking pledges now? I would assume you would gather
>pledges over the next month to see if can get the USD16500, if
>you do, then the pledges become real donations, if you don't,
>then the pledges become null.

He has answered that.  Pledges are not money.  Pledges are wishes.
It is a bad idea to bet your family's financial health and your
mortgage on the other people's "wish" to contribute, even if those
wishes are well-intended.  This is particularly true if that group
of well-wishers include a number of people that you have never
dealt with before.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that many people
will promise you money to do something, and then after you do
it they'll have a million excuses.  "Oh, my car broke down, poor
little old me.  I guess *you* will have to do without that money
that I had promised *you*, because *my* car broke down".  Believe
me, they'll make it sound like you're supposed to apologize to
them for the bad luck that they have had.

>If the fund raising is connected with FreeBSD, could people who
>donate larger amounts get some form of acknowledgement on the
>FreeBSD site? This would give an incentive for vendors who sell
>products that rely or use FreeBSD to donate larger amounts.

This has already been discussed in the thread.  I'm sure that
various things could be arranged for any vendor who really puts
up some money to help fund Poul-Henning's work on the specific
project he is proposing to do.