Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:06:50 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <jimd@nepinc.com>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is the freebsd version for "useradd -M"?

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 06:52 pm, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> --- Jim Durham <jimd@nepinc.com> wrote:
> > 'pw' has different arguments based on the first argument. If you say
> > 'pw useradd' then "-M" is not valid. You'll see this if you carefully
> > read the man page.
>
> i have, this is why i noted that there was no "-M" option for the
> "useradd" argument under "pw"
>
> apparently, the "-M" under vanilla "useradd" indicates that a home
> directory is not to be created.  i was not, and still am not sure if th=
ere
> was a specific argument that allows for this.  from the looks if it i
> guess there isn't.

Hmmm... I just looked at my script to create users here and the argument
-m is used. Experimenting shows that -m causes a home directory to be
created, whereas the lack of -m causes the user to be added but no home
directory created. The current man page for 'pw' does not show -m as
an arg for 'pw useradd'. This is apparently wrong. It works as described
below under the '-m' arg description with 'pw useradd'.

-Jim