Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:33:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        "Otto E. Solares" <solca@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS & NIS Problems

Otto E. Solares writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I was wondering if any of you can help me with this problem:
 >
 > I work for a university and we have many pc's in our internet
 > labs, we are using FreeBSD 2.2.8 for clients and one server,
 > the server is an Pentium II 400MHz, 64MB RAM, HD 8 GB.
 > The clients are Pentium 200MMX with 32MB RAM. The
 > server have the roles of NFS, NIS and SMB server. We

Please let us know how your NIS is set up. Master server, any slave
servers? Has it ever worked? Check

	http://www.realtime.net/sculpture/nis-startup.html

and look at Hal Stern "Managing NFS and NIS".

 > use NFS to mount the home partition to all clients, we use
 > NIS to authenticate any user in any client and use SMB
 > when the client is not in FreeBSD but in Windoze. All
 > this have the intention to use a more secure and more
 > flexible administration and control issues. So when a
 > client launches FreeBSD in any client the waiting time
 > is very big but the real problem is when the user log in,
 > he/she has to wait too a very large amount of time, when

I would guess it is NIS trying to figure out who is logging in. Try to
give us as much detail as possible on how it is configured.

 > the user is logged in, he opens any program and it lock up
 > (not the machine but the app). I was experimenting with
 > this so i perform in a client an simple command in any
 > user's home dir:  time ls (0:00.24) and time ls -l (RPC
 > time out).  This is a little bit strange because ls i think
 > uses NFS without problem but ls -l uses NFS and
 > NIS (i think).  This happens with any number of users
 > logged in (form 1 to a max. of 60 users that are at the
 > same time logged in). The SMB daemon works perfectly
 > with any number of users. I will apreciate your help.

Did you get NFS to work without NIS? Or, was it the other way around?
Probably, you should solve one at a time.

Make sure you follow the man pages and the tutorial when setting
up. If you don't get the maps built right or the client's files
properly configured, nothing will work.

John