Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 10:07:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rjohnson@hirshfields.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Want to use FreeBSD as a thin client - what's the smallest foot print PC I can get ?

Take a look at the SV25...  it's about 7" x 7" x 9" or something close.

http://www.shuttleonline.com/spec.php3?model=sv25

Also if you search google for "SV25" you'll find some reviews that were
pretty good.

We've got one running FreeBSD just fine... however, the next one we got
had a bad floppy controller (guessing since nothing I did made any floppy
drive/cable combo work).  So I'm one for one I guess, but I do like the
one we have...

You can get them from mwave.com for $250.  We have a 20gb drive, 128mb of
ram so it came to like $400 or something...

Space is pretty tight in the SV25.  There's room for one PCI card...
everything does fit, but you might want to get those round cables instead
of the ribbon ones.

And it's pretty loud.  A bit louder than a normal desktop, but quieter
than a beefy server with lots of fans... but loud enough that you wouldn't
want it on your desk...

We're also trying out this box: http://www.nexcom.com/product/ebc/ebs1563/

You can get it with both Intel NIC's or Realtek NICs.  It requires a 2.5"
drive though... but it is *tiny*.  Don't have it yet so can't comment if
any of it actually works :)  The box (which includes a CPU, but no ram or
drive) is about $650.

-philip