Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 13:33:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding IDE to SCSI

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Paul T. Root wrote:

> In a previous message, Doug White said:
> > On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Paul T. Root wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to add an IDE drive to a previously all SCSI 486 system.
> >
> > Be prepared -- this will cause wierd things to happen.  FreeBSD has
> > trouble detecting the boot disk in these cases.
>
> I don't care if FreeBSD will see the IDE, in fact, I probably won't
> add it to the kernel. I have a SyQuest drive if I need to move stuff between
> the OS and Windows.

It will anyway.  :)

> > > However the first time I did this, I got the
> > > "operating system missing" message when trying to boot FreeBSD or the
> > > old Win slice.
> >
> > Did you run Fdisk and make sure that the active partition is set to the
> > Win95 one on the IDE disk?   FreeBSD will reset the active partition bit
> > and if it's on the second disk it won't boot.
>
> So the second disk (SCSI sd0) should not have anything set as active?

Yeah, I think so.  That will cause the system to try to boot your IDE disk
which will have booteasy on it.

> That may be another problem.
>
> > > I have 2 possiblities for this:
> > > 	1) I installed booteasy on the IDE drive via a DOS shell under
> > > 	Win95. (and left OS/BS on the SCSI disk)
> >
> > That failed.
>
> Ok.
>
> > > 	2) When installing booteasy, I had ROM shadowing on for the IDE
> > > 	controller. It's manual said not to.
> >
> > I have it on and it doesn't cause any problems.
>
> I have this pseudo intelligent IDE controller from GSI. It says to not
> have Shadowing on when you're configuring drives, which I would guess
> putting booteasy or OS/BS on would qualify.

Perhaps.  You might try disabling it's onboard BIOS.  What model of card
is it?

> > > I installed 2.2 Beta as from what I read, 2.1.[56] wouldn't be able to
> > > handle sd0 as sd0 when it's not the first BIOS disk.
> >
> > Well, sort of. It won't be able to figure out how to boot it without a
> > clue from the Boot: prompt..
>
> So I'll still have to type sd(1,a)/kernel at the boot prompt?
> Ick. Maybe a 120 meg partition for / and swap on the IDE is a better route?

I hope you don't get stuck in that rut.    You can split it if you like,
but that's a pain to install. :(

> > > Also, somehow the SCSI disks slice information got written onto the
> > > IDE drive. I think this might have something to do with the shadowing.
> >
> > That shouldn't have happened.  Are you sure you installed to the right
> > disk?
>
> Yeah, I pulled the SCSI's and it was still like that. Like I said, pseudo
> intelligent controller.

I would say not-very-intelligent controller.