Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:51:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Marcel Grandemange <thavinci@thavinci.za.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Recovery Tools

> all the input from various users I assume zfs would be the file system of
> choice for such large volumes?
>
> Are there limitations or downsides using UFS on such a large volume?

no, unless you will create it with default options.

use -i big-power-of-two simply to have enough inodes for your files, but
not 100 times too much. too much inodes=more wasted space AND VERY SLOW
FSCK

use -b 32768 or 65536 depending of your file's average size.

-b 16384 will work too, but again fsck may be long.

of course turn on softupdates.

UFS performs excellent on large drives/volumes. not in theory but in
practice, i use it every place, on volumes up to 3GB

NO PROBLEMS.

> Also are there any tools for recovery off ZFS volumes? Accidental
> delete/format/corruption...?
no.