Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:46:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: guspnp12 again 8)

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Tnks I will look into . My first couple of tries over here with
> playmidi everything worked fine , I guess I have to test it some more
> to see if I can spot the bug. The gus sounds much better 8)

I bet it does :) On the other hand i don't use midi for myself at all, i
just want the driver to have good support for it :) You too i guess. :-)

> We currently don't support rat. If the author cares to send me the
> source which they have in the past, we will be able to fix
> whatever problems they have with respect to the sound driver.

Oh, i didn't know that. On the other hand, this seems to be the only
problem with rat, the volume control for both playback and mic works. Oh,
yes, you can't have to rat's running at the same time either. It says
"bind: address already in use". But i'll guess that is a rat problem. Hmm,
on the rat's homepage they say they only support FreeBSD with the OSS.
Have you mailed them about porting rat btw?

How is it with vat? Is that supported? After some quick tests i can not
get it to crash and reboot my system as it did with the old driver. VERY
nice :-) But the volume controls don't work at all. :/

> Ah, the click. Not sure if I will fix it for this release .

Ok.

> > When i'm recording from mic and dspW and plays thatfile, the first second
> > i hear sounds from the previous playback(only the dspW device). It seems
> > that something is not cleared right. I will do some further testing and
> > see if i come up with something, but right now i'm to tired to understand
> > what i'm doing :)
>
> Don't worry , I can track it down over here specially with Luigi's
> isa_dmapoll 8)

Ah, nice :-)

> > Humm, rplay got this (it worked the first 3 times :/ ):
> > 	Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
> >
> > And rplay sounds not as good than with the original driver.
>
> Not sure how to quantify this one however I will try do sort it out.

Well, i didn't recompile rplay, maybe that's the problem?

> > Hopefully you get something out of all this.. :-) The driver
> > seems more stable now a days, but it sounds not as good :/ (how can that
> > be?? The sound i mean ;).
>
> A bit more difficult to qualify however I will  do my best.
>
> All in all I say that we are in good shape with some minor "kinks"

I agree.

> 	Tnks a lot!
> 	Amancio

You're welcome :-) Hopefully i can do some more "scientific" testing then
i have more time =P Time, time.. What is time? Oh, is it that i have so
little of, i thought that was money :)

	./johan
--
    * mailto:gozer@ludd.luth.se * http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/gozer/ *