Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 21:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vasim Valejev <vasim@diaspro.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/4862: pppd with PAP logs one user twice in wtmp

The following reply was made to PR bin/4862; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Vasim Valejev <vasim@diaspro.com>
To: Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:19:24 +0500 (ES)

 Hi !

 On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

 > > 	when user logging via PAP , pppd creates two records in wtmp file with one username and tty . Example (from last command) :
 > >
 > > ***
 > > baheman          ttyd5    :PPP               27  09:44 - 09:44  (00:00)
 > > baheman          ttyd5                       27  09:44   still logged in
 > > ***
 >
 > Are you actually "logging in" as well as using pap ?

 Yes . And this bug appears only in 3.0-CURRENT . In 2.2-STABLE , no
  logwtmp() call when user logged in and pppd from 2.2-STABLE works fine .
  For example (on 3.0-CURRENT) :

 I have mgetty on ttyd* with AUTO_PPP support . mgetty execute next
  command when receive ppp-handshake :

 /usr/sbin/pppd -detach modem crtscts auth +pap -chap login lcp-restart 10
  pap-max-authreq 1 dns1 $myaddr ms-dns $myaddr name $myname
  $myaddr:$addr

 On other machine i run 'ppp papsite' with next /etc/ppp/ppp.conf :

 default:
  set device /dev/cuaa0
  set speed 57600
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDP\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

 papsite:
  set phone ******
  set login ""
  deny chap
  accept pap
 # enable pap
  set authname joe
  set authkey *******

 And last command says after this call :

 ***
 joe              ttyd5    :PPP             ΧΤ  28 ΟΛΤ 09:19 - 09:19  (00:00)
 joe              ttyd5                     ΧΤ  28 ΟΛΤ 09:19   still logged in
 ***

 (There russian letters in date)

 It cause problems to my accounting program :( .

 >  This would
 > explain the duplicate.  IMHO, pppd needs a -utmp option for when
 > people wanna do both.

 May be . But remove logwtmp call before :) . login(&utmp) appends
  record in wtmp file and call 'logwtmp(tty, user, remote_name)' in line
  913 auth.c not need !

 Vasim V. (2:5011/27 http://members.tripod.com/~Vasim VV86-RIPE)