Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:08:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WHO: invalid hostname?

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> What causes the below?
>
> lomar            p6       invalid hostname  2:09PM     4 ssh -l marcus
>
> Misconfigured DNS such that a reverse DNS doesn't work?

It happens when reverse DNS returns a hostname for which a forward DNS
lookup fails.

Happened to me last week at a customer site where their ISP had misspelt
the hostname in a PTR record for one of the customers' IP addresses.

> Is there anything
> I can put onto my system to prevent connections from such?

TCP Wrappers "unknown" or "paranoid" host specification should catch
these, but it won't do you much good for something like sshd, which runs
standlaone.

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji