Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:37:33 -0500
From:      Sandro Mancuso <sandro.m@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux binary compatibility woes

Hi folks, it seems I've stumbled onto a bit of a problem here.

On a box I recently upgraded to 4.5 stable, I keep getting errors
regarding this elf stuff (I'm completely lost when it comes to that
stuff). =20

  Example: FIREWALL /kernel: link_elf: symbol seminfo undefined

I get this on startup, but it doesn't (seem to?) hinder anything I've
done with it except when I tried to re-install Linux binary
compatibility 7.1 (see below). =20

I also noticed that since this problem has appeared, lynx hasn't been
working properly, occasionally freezing, though I can't say for sure its
related... as I use this box to browse www less than sparingly.  I also
installed opera, a program dependent on the Linux binary compatibility
of course, and it won't start, stating the following:

  Bash-2.05a$ opera
  ELF binary type "0" not known.
  Abort trap

I've tried updating the ports via cvsup, uninstalling all Linux
compatibility by deselecting in /stand/sysinstall (which gives me
another problem I'll get to in a second) and reinstalling linux_base-7
via both sysinstall and by doing pkg_add linux_base-7 myself, both
giving me that link_elf error I described earlier which I get on boot
up.  Furthermore, I have been unable to uninstall Linux base 6.1 from
the machine, giving me an error, and telling me to see the debug window
(I'm still relatively new to FreeBSD, I have no idea what/where this
debug screen is).  Since I've upgraded the ports collection, in
sysinstall I have linux_base-6.1 twice, then linux_base7, where before I
had 6.1, 6.2, and 7.1.  After I uninstalled the version 7 I was never
able to reinstall it, and it shows linux_base-6.1 being installed twice.

Does anyone have any insight regarding what I can do to help me get out
of this little circle I seem to be in (short of reformatting ;-)?

That's about as much detail as I can provide, and after re-reading this
myself I'm skeptical that it can be of any help, so if in need of any
clarification, please don't hesitate

Thanks in advance,
Sandro