Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:31:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Please help me

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people' wrote:
> Or ...
> Global Regular Expression Print
> Get Regular Expression Processing
> Global Regular Expression Parser

I just think of the command "grep" as part grab, part schlep.  But come to
think of it, your first answer seems right except for the "P."

> While we're on the subject of origins and meanings, you've heard, I
> suppose, that C was just a joke ..... ;-)
> Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.

Do you have a URL to back up this "C started as a joke" tale??

Odd that dictionary.com would have grep!  The manpage for grep contains not
one instance of the word "global," how bizarre.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder