Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:40:28 -0400
From:      "fbsd" <fbsd@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com>, "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        'John Andrewartha' <mulgajohn@bigpond.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: USB-Serial ??

Sorry dud but what you have is a winmodem.
XP has special driver for that external modem to work.
It is not supported in FreeBSD as far as I have seen.
There is no such thing as USB-serial modem.
External modem is connected to motherboard by serial cable or USB
cable.
Serial external modem works right out of the box and USB external
modem are all winmodems.
There is a port ltmdm which works for a limited number of PCI
winmodems but nothing for USB-winmodems.

You are SOL.