Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:56:15 -0500
From:      "Marco Greene (Home)" <mgreene@aci.on.ca>
To:        "'List, FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail in a DMZ

This is probably a stupid question...but I have a FreeBSD 4.9 server, =
which
does not have access to a DNS server.  However, I need to send mail from =
it.
I have a relay host setup in the same subnet which I have tested works =
with
telnet mailhost 25...and then giving it the sendmail commands....

However, when I send mail from the host it does not go leave the local
/var/spool/clientmqueue directory and no traffic is attempted between =
this
host and the mailhost.  (Verified with tcpdump).

I have put an entry "ns2" in my local host file and setup the define =
SMART
HOST in /etc/mail/freebsd.mc...then went on to run the following =
commands
from the /etc/mail directory:
-make all
-make install
-make restart

I confirmed the the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file has the DS macro set to =
"ns2"
like I expected; however, when I send a mail message the maillog =
indicates
that the relay=3Droot@localhost.

Any thoughts?

TIA