Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:14:28 +1000
From:      Peter Champas <ingold@besys.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -alias

At 11:10 p 10/06/97 -0400, Marc Greenbaum wrote:
>I am following through the - Pedantic PPP Primer, trying to setup my BSD
>box to route ip traffic. The primer talks about the use of the "ppp -alias"
>command. My machine however does not seem to have -alias flag. I am running
>release 2.1.7.
this may or maynot be what your looking for, but when ever my ppp0 device
goes up,
pppd looks for the following file ip-up, so I have my routing information
in there
eg: (Note you need to specify full path names for it to execute correctly)
#ip-up
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/ifconfig ed0 alias x.x.x.1 netmask 255.255.255.255
/sbin/route add -host x.x.x.1 -interface ed0
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q &
---- [ end ] --

and when I bring ppp0 down pppd executes the following in a file called
/etc/ppp/ip-down
----------[ ip-down snip]------------
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/route delete x.x.x.1
/sbin/ifconfig ed0 inet x.x.x.1 delete

hope this helps you..

cya

   /*\     Life is a challange.. Just ask your local ISP    /*\
  /* *\               ingold@besys.net.au                  /* *\
 o-----o-------- http://www.besys.net.au/~ingold --------o------o