Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 18:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MD5 --> DES ?

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:

> So my question is, how do I create DES encrypted passwords from Perl?  I
> tried compiling a new perl binary pointing at libdescrypt, but somehow
> crypt() still uses MD5.

For the archives, here's what I ended up doing...

Made a small test program using crypt() to see what's happening.
Compiling with -ldescrypt still makes a binary that uses MD5.  A friend,
more experienced in these matters than I, rooted around and says:

 It turns out that when FreeBSD compiles libscrypt and libdescrypt, they
 use a tricky argument to the linker that causes it to always link with
 libcrypt instead. So even if you specify libscrypt or libdescrypt on the
 link line, it gets translated to libcrypt.

Is that a bug?  In any case, I switched the libcrypt* links to DES,
compiled static, then switched the links back to MD5, and now I have what
I wanted, the ability to make DES passwords on a MD5 system...

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com