Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:24:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD NIS client with HPUX NIS server.

I've got a FreeBSD machine here and it's all looking good, except that the
site IT folks want it in NIS, with an HP-UX 10.20 NIS server. =(

[ Unimportant background :
The reason I've been given is "security" and although using HP-UX 10.20,
without shadow passwords and using NIS, (not NIS+) to serve passwords to
FreeBSD (3.2 - with somewhat better encryption and shadowing) may sound like an
absolutely mind bogglingly stupid idea.... this is the only way they will allow
this machine to be on the network. ]

Anyway, HP-UX's idea of a password is something like this :

              vvvv--- expiration data.
AIUSFas/asdis,O/.M

and my FreeBSD paswords looks like so :
(that's how long the password field is!)

So, the question has to be, is there any feasible way of setting NIS to work so
that I can pull people from the NIS server and still let them log in, or do I
need to give them a FreeBSD passwd entry for every user.

(clearly +@somegroup is going to be even more of a problem ?!)

Thanks in advance,

	Steve