Date:      Sun, 7 May 1995 15:34:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        karl@bagpuss.demon.co.uk (Karl Strickland)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 'ZAPPA' motherboard -details?

> Just seen this advertised, but with few details.  The ad says it uses
> the triton chipset, does anyone have more info?

It uses the Triton chip set, it has only 3 PCI slots, I have a vendor
who is bringing the product in.  Once he gets it I will take a closer
look at the board.  Given that it has the AMI winbios on it, I would
guess it is a bad board for most Unix systems as you'll run into the
interrupt sharing problems that the Intel Plato has.

> Few questions:
> 	Is a triton based board currently the best to buy?

It is the highest performance in OEM type motherboards, it does have
the miss feature of lacking parity support for main memory.

> 	I understand triton boards give better performance using
> 	pipelined burst SRAM for the cache, and EDO SIMMS.  (right?)

It is better in performance without these options too.

> 	Can you mix standard fast page SIMMS & EDO simms on the same
> 	motherboard?

Not to my knowledge.