Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:53:51 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        phk@critter.dk.tfs.com
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

In article <11871.855990294.kithrup.freebsd.security@critter.dk.tfs.com> you write:
>Theo belives he can export anything just because he is in Canada.

It's probably worth mentioning that the new US regulations on what can be
exported are frightening (although, admittedly, they were explained to me by
John Gilmore, who is more than slightly biased against them ;)).

In particular, John makes a point that *any code that protects against
malicious attack* is prohibited by the new regulations, whether it uses
cryptography or not.

In other words, MD5 and buffer overflow patches are now as exportable as RSA
-- namely, not without a license from the gov't.

(I've also seen people claim that only code that does cryptography is
covered.  However, it's also quite possible that MD5 is no longer
exportable, even when used as a one-way hash, if it is to be used for
password "encryption.")

Not that I expect this to stop anyone ;).