Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:11:21 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing BIND with unbound

--0-1522165586-1345569083=:78446

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>> Dag-Erling, do you have a timeline for getting started on the
>> ldns/unbound import?
>
> I imported the code into the vendor tree, but did not proceed any
> further as there was still no firm consensus at the time.
>
> I believe the conclusion - to the extent that there was one - was that
> people were fine with tossing out BIND and importing ldns to replace the
> client bits, as long as we had suitable drop-in replacements for host(1)
> and dig(1), but there was no consensus on whether to import unbound.
>
> I'll start working on getting ldns into head this weekend.

I think ldns really is not what we want; can you defer this for a week
and we could chat in person, also wtih brooks around, next week?

There is a wwaayy larger thing to the picture of resolver libraries,
exspecially validating once, which includes standardization,
acceptance, application support, etc. and I admit there should be a
summary of that on the wiki but isn't yet as some of the things only
very last-weekishly materialized for real for us.

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.
--0-1522165586-1345569083=:78446--