Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 06:12:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        dallas.tex@airmail.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XTERM

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> No, the standard xterm does do colour.  You need to set the TERM
> environment to xterm-color.  There's also a resource which governs the

Hm... didn't know that (obviously!)  Thanks!

> > rxvt is also half the memory size of xterm, so it's good even if you
> > don't need color.
>
> So what doesn't it do that xterm does?

Hm... Tektronix graphics.  XTerm mouse support (the one you can use to
send mouse clicks to the app running in the xterm window, not the cut and
paste, which is supported). Session logging, and "toolkit style
configurability" (dunno what the last one means, exactly--the last two are
from the man page) .  The popup menus (to change font size in rxvt, you
use an alt-keystroke).

The only ones I have used in xterm are the mouse thing (rarely) and
logging, which is useful at work sometimes.

The small size was particularly useful on the first FreeBSD machine I used
X with, a 486 with 8 megs of memory.

Here's what they look like on my current system:

root     29168  0.0  5.4   540 1632  p0  S     6:06AM    0:00.31 xterm

root     28579  0.0  2.0   352  604  v0  S     5:50AM    0:01.21 rxvt

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/