Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:26:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AoE for 4.x

> Sam wrote:
>
>>> I'm sure you mentionned this before, but why ar eyou not doing it against
>>> -current first?
>>>
>>> We generally don't allow changes to 4.x untill they have settled a bit in
>>> -current.  (or 5.x)
>>

>> I decided to write a 4.x driver thinking it would a) be easier to port
>> forward than backward, and b) would give me experience in the old kernel
>> to understand why certain changes were made for the new.
>>
>> [Thompson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers]
>> It is faster to make a four-inch mirror and then a six-inch mirror than
>> to make a six-inch mirror.
>

> hmmmm it might be the other way around here...
>

>> As for the single patch, I'll cook one up shortly.  I just figured it
>> would be more of a pain to look through.
>

> I guess we are used to it.
>
> I can't recommend enough the utility of having a cvs mirror and using cvs  to
> keep your
> work trees sync'd against FreeBSD. It is also a goodd way of making sure that
> you don't
> forget parts of the diff (e.g. Makefiles etc.) as CVS will pick up all the
> changed files.

And I can't thank you enough.  I forgot about a few other (rather)
important file changes this picked up.

A patchfile for aoe against today's 4.10 source tree
is at:
 	http://www.coraid.com/support/freebsd/aoe.patch

A few notes:

The file sys/dev/aoe/aoe4bsd.dd is basic documentation for
the driver.

All references to chr major 200 will have to be changed to whatever
gets assigned, obviously.

The netisr selected in sys/net/netisr.h was picked at random.  Is it
OK?

The label typeunknown in sys/net/if_ethersubr.c is added to give
netgraph a chance to get the packets if AoE is not loaded.  Appropriate?

I dinna know how to fill out the copyright/license comment in the headers,
but i gave it a shot.  Thoughts here would be appreciated.

TIA to all the curious eyes that skim the driver for glaring flaws.

Cheers,

Sam