Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2020 00:17:37 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

> On 4. Aug 2020, at 20:43, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> We are planning to deprecate use of portsnap in ports.
>=20
> The reasons are as follows (in no particular order):
>=20
> * Portsnap doesn't support quarterly branches, even years after quarterly b=
ranches were created and changed to the default for non-HEAD packages.
>=20
> * Portsnap doesn't seem to save disk space compared to svn or git, if you c=
ount the metadata (stored in /var/db/portsnap by default) and you do an appl=
es-to-apples comparison of svn or git without history and ignoring possible Z=
FS compression. That is, you use "svn export" or git "clone --depth 1", you s=
ee this disk usage:
>=20
>    342M    svnexport
>    426M    git
>    477M    portsnap
>=20
> * Portsnap also doesn't work offline which git does. With git, you can als=
o easily add the history by running "git pull --unshallow"
>=20
> * This migration away from portsnap fits well with the planned migration t=
o git.
>=20
> * Also based on the patches we've seen in Bugzilla for some time, usage of=
 portsnap causes folks to too easily accidentally submit patches to Bugzilla=
 which don't apply easily.
>=20
> * Since portsnap doesn't support quarterly branches, it often causes users=
 to build on the wrong branch or end up with mismatched packages. That is, t=
hey install packages from quarterly via pkg, then want to customize so run p=
ortsnap and build from head, which can cause problems, as we often see. Even=
 when this doesn't happen, it adds to troubleshooting to verify that it didn=
't.
>=20
> We are aware people have gotten used to portsnap, but believe:
>=20
> * People should be able to easily use svnlite in base or git from pkgs. (V=
ery few people seem to actually use WITHOUT_SVNLITE).
>=20
> * There is also the possibility of falling back to fetching a tar or zip f=
rom https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/ports/ although this does make updating ha=
rder.
>=20
> How it will be done, in order:
>=20
> * Update poudriere to use svn by default. This is already done:
>=20
>  https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/pull/764
> https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/commit/bd68f30654e2a8e965fbdc09aad238=
c8bf5cdc10
>=20
> * Update docs not to mention portsnap. This is already in progress:
>=20
>  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25800
>  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25801
>  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25803
>  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25805
>  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25808
>  https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/363798
>=20
>  Many thanks to the folks who have worked and are working on this!
>=20
> * Make WITHOUT_PORTSNAP default in base. Currently not certain when this w=
ill happen. May not happen before 13.0, but hopefully it will.
>=20
> * Eventually, portsnap servers will see low enough usage they can be disab=
led.
>=20
> We welcome any constructive feedback. All input would be heard, and if the=
 plans need to be amended, we will come back to you with the amended plan in=
 a couple of weeks. This process will take some time and hopefully won't be t=
oo disruptive to anyone's usual workflow.

What will be the process to bootstrap git?

Thanks