Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 09:57:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM, S/Key and authentication schemes.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> "Jacques A. Vidrine" wrote:
> > On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:36:25AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > We talked to the Sun guy who came up with PAM at the last
> > > FreeBSD user's group meeting, in Foster City, CA, last
> > > month.
> > >
> > > The PAM API, as it currently sits, is incapable of correctly
> > > supporting Kerberos, and several other authentication schemes.
> > >
> > > Apparently, the only way to fix this is to change the PAM API.
> >
> > Hey, I'm glad that has sunk in. We debated about this back in February
> > (thread in this forum containing Message-ID
> > <20010217190800.A38833@spawn.nectar.com>).
>
> Knowing about the problem, and actually revising the API to deal with
> it, are two very different things, unfortuantely.

In working on a number of components of the TrustedBSD project, we've
repeatedly made the decision to go with the decisions of a slightly
inadequate API and slightly worse semantics rather than break portability:
FreeBSD is, I'm afraid, a minority player when it comes to portable
interfaces, and by not using portable APIs, we generally shoot ourselves
in the feet rather than provide added benefit to our users.  This doesn't
mean there isn't room to innovate, especially in the area of creating new
APIs for new and novel services (such as kqueue), it just means you have
to carefully weigh the costs of introducing incompatibility for
applications.  Using PAM allows us to leverage work on other platforms,
and as our PAM implementation improves, so does our ability to make use of
third party PAM modules.

PAM is recognizably not perfect, but as Terry points out, creating the
"perfect modular authentication, authorization, accounting, and
credential-management API" is not a trivial task.  In general, I'd
strongly oppose efforts to simply hack up a replacement unless they were
seriously thought through, and experimented with over an extended period
of time in extremely diverse environments.