Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:26:00 +0000
From:      Jonathan Wall <JW1@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   truncating lines with a script...

Hi there,

Hopefully somebody can spare a moment to solve a problem I'm having...

I have a very simple sh script that runs 'ps' via rsh for some machines on
our network and then pipes the output through grep to pick out the lines of
interest - in this case the Xvnc processes.  I would like to then pipe the
output through another command to remove the superfluous Xvnc command line
switches the ps command also shows.

The script as it currently stands is shown below.  I thought sed would be
the answer but apart from having an astoundingly cryptic man page, I think
it can only delete whole lines containing a particular string rather than a
segment of a line.  I know I could have used 'comm' instead of 'command' in
the script to have a shortened output from ps, but then I can't see which
screen the Xvnc processes are attached to.  The typical output is below the
script and given this example I would ideally like to remove everything
after the ':1'.  Perhaps I should be using awk or perl ???

I'm frustrated to be unable to work this out for myself since it seems so
trivial.  Is there a correspondingly trivial solution ??

	Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to write a reply,

		Jonathan Wall.

### My script ###

#!/bin/sh
echo ""
echo ""
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "      cfd1"
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
rsh cfd1 ps -e -o
user,pid,pcpu,pmem,vsize,rssize,tty,state,start,cputime,etime,command \
| grep -w -e USER -e Xvnc \
| grep -v -e grep
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "      cfd2"
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
rsh cfd2 ps -e -o
user,pid,pcpu,pmem,vsize,rssize,tty,state,start,cputime,etime,command \
| grep -w -e USER -e Xvnc \
| grep -v -e grep
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "      cfd3"
echo "--------------------------------------------------------------"
rsh cfd3 ps -e -o
user,pid,pcpu,pmem,vsize,rssize,tty,state,start,cputime,etime,command \
| grep -w -e USER -e Xvnc \
| grep -v -e grep
echo ""
echo ""

### Typical output ### (apologies if the long line causes problems for your
email client)

      cfd1
USER        PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      S    STARTED         TIME
ELAPSED COMMAND
jw1        2515  0.0  0.5 7.68M 3.7M ttyp4    S    18:43:20     0:00.58
  1:27 Xvnc :1 -desktop X -httpd /usr/personal/jw1/apps/share/vnc/classes
-auth /usr/personal/jw1/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait
120000 -rfbauth /usr/personal/jw1/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5901 -fp
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/decwin/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/decwin/100dpi/,/usr/li
b/X11/fonts/cde/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cde/100dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/use
r/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/user/100dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/user/misc/,/usr/
lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1Adob
e/
      cfd2
USER        PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      S    STARTED         TIME
ELAPSED COMMAND
      cfd3