Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:04:31 -0400
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Subject:   Re: so for kicks, i just ...

--nextPart2351848.cEqEPYhmJm

On Sunday 06 August 2006 21:57, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> i just decided to take a box, and installworld, without going to single
> user mode.  from what i can see, the update was completely successful.  of
> course, other then myself (su'd to root), there were no other users logged
> in).
>
> i wonder how many people are brave enough, and do actually installworld
> without changing to single user mode?  i wonder what is truly at risk from
> not going to single mode?
>
> curious,
> jonathan

I usually don't go into single-user mode on my desktops as there is no real=
=20
need. If I know libc has been bumpted, then there's a reason to go in=20
stand-alone as there might be running processes that might be affected.

On a multiple user machine it is highly recommended because
1) You warn the user that a loss of ressource (network connection etc...) i=
s=20
imminent due to reboot
2) Any huge processes are stopped and will not be affected by live changing=
 of=20
libraries and core /bin or /usr/bin and other system bin files.
3) If somethings goes wrong, you won't be affecting other users in mysterio=
us=20
ways, you can fix it right away and resume "serving".

There's probably more reasons to the logic but thoses are my so far.

Nicolas.

=2D-=20
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #11: Sun Jul 30 12:12:59 EDT 2006    =20
root@clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A=20
PGP? : http://www.clkroot.net/security/nb_root.asc