Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        wghicks@bellsouth.net (W Gerald Hicks)
Cc:        tcobb@staff.circle.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable

> > 1. Supermicro can't handle a full 1GB, despite their specs
>
> $100 says that's it.

$200 says that you using low density 256MB DIMMS that are overloading
the BUS specification of the chipset on the motherboard.

Current price ratio (well, okay 7/30/1999) on 18 chip vs 36 chip
32Mx72b ECC PC100 8nS is still 1:2, or about $300.00 vs $600.00.

Alls I can say to those folks trying to do more than 512MB in a box
with any current chip set is ``You have to spend the money for 18 chip
parts if you want to have any type of reliable operation, no current
chipset was designed to drive 144 chips''

Between David Greenman and my self we probably went through $25,000
of parts from various manufactures who claimed that they would work
before we finally decided they are all wrong, and that we would just
have to wait for the next generation of chips that would allow 18 chip
256MB DIMMS.

If your memory vendor doesn't know what 18 chip 256MB DIMMS are drop
me an email, they are in ready supply from either manufacture we deal
with.  All parts are lifetime warrantied.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net