Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 20:27:55 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rescanning SCSI-Bus without Rebooting?

Julian Elischer:
 |1/ choose a moment when you are not doing much
 |
 |2/ use the scsi -r command. you will need to use it against an already
 |existing device, e.g. /dev/rsd0
 |man 8 scsi

Having the same need for my scanner, I tried this:

# scsi -f /dev/uk0 -r -b 0 -t 6
scsi: unable to open device /dev/uk0: Device not configured

scsi(8) says rescanning isn't necessary for "fixed" SCSI devices since
reopening the device rescans, and it says to see scsi(4) for a description
of fixed scsi devices.

scsi(4) doesn't contain the word "fixed".

So I guess my question is, how can I set things up such that my scanner
(currently uk0) a "fixed" SCSI device so I can get access to the rescan
behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Randall

BTW, I have:

controller   ncr0
controller   scbus0 at ncr0                     # Single bus device
disk         sd0 at scbus0 target 5 unit 0      # sd0 = ZIP Drive
device       uk0 at scbus0 target 6 unit 0      # uk0 = Scanner