Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:23:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@privatelabs.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   diverted packets never leave the box

Hello!

I'm trying to  force all of the  requests to the web-server  (www) go to
the squid box first (squid is running on a separate machine -- squid). I
set up the ipfw rules on the web-server as follows

	allow log tcp from squid to www http
	divert 8668 log tcp from not squid to www http in
	divert 8668 log tcp from squid to www
	allow ip from any to any

I start natd on www as:
	natd -proxy_only -proxy_rule \
			type encode_tcp_stream \
			port http \
			server squid:3128 \
		-a www -verbose -reverse

When I try to connect to www:80  from the third machine (named misha), I
see natd on www output the following (IP addresses changed to names):

	In [TCP]  [TCP] misha:4393 -> www:80 aliased to
		  [TCP] www:4393 -> squid:3128

which is what  I want (I think). However, according  to tcpdumps running
on both  squid and www no  packets actually arrive to  the squid machine
and my connections (from misha) time out.

How do I make packets that are diverted (to natd) be resent to their new
destinations? I'd rather use the ipfw/natd combination then transproxy.

TIA,

	-mi