Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:50:41 +0100
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        alexus <alexus@gmail.com>, apache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: apache-2.4.X & php5-5.4.X

Am Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:08:50 +0100
schrieb Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>:

> alexus wrote:
> > slightly off topic yet still _VERY_ important peace and _VERY_
> > widely used is mod_php. I know that was discussed about million
> > times through mailing lists and other ways
>
> Exactly, so why are you jumping on for the million and one time? If
> you want custom packages set up your own tinderbox or package builder
> machine.

I think he wants to be able to build mod_php + php-cgi at the same
time, in the same build.
E.g. have different slave-ports for the various options currently
available for lang/php5, thus requiring less effort by users to
maintain their own builds, because freebsd.org could offer both
packages at the same time.

But wouldn't all of the current php5-extension slave-ports then need
to be available in two versions, too?
I'm not sure if you could use an extension built for mod_php in a
php-cgi PHP...

We're trying to get rid of mod_php here anyway, so the current state is
good enough for me. I don't know if it's actually worth the effort.

In any case, if you have more than a handfull of FreeBSD-servers and
aren't happy with the pre-built packages (e.g. you are doing your own
ports-building), then a tinderbox is almost a "must have".
Unfortunately, people only realize this after they have a lot more than
a handful of servers and then you have an almost infinite number of
variations in your packages....

For me, a much more important question is: is lang/php5 going to be
updated to 5.4 (and thus 5.3 disappearing) or is there going to be yet
another php-port (lang/php54)?

Rainer