Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:39:10 +0200
From:      Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
To:        Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance and mouse problems

 Le 29/04/2012 ? 00:58:01+0200, Jerome Herman a écrit

> I was afraid this would happen. And I fear it is just the begining.

Why you say that ?

> I assume you did not create any custom hald rule. Did you ?

I have one, but I try with him (I use since hal existe on BSD) and without
him. For the same result. The pad in the laptop working but not the usb
mouse.

In fact I don't think the cpu load is connected to this problem.

I already send a email to freebsd-stable.

Well but that not a solve the Xorg don't see the mouse.

> The first thing to do is to add
>
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
>
> In your ServerLayout section of xorg.conf.
> Then restart X and try to plug a mouse again. It may result in your mouse not working in X, but at least it should stop your computer from using all it's CPU trying to map the mouse.
>

> If indeed the CPU load does not reach skyhigh levels when you plug a USB
> mouse, we will be able to conclude that there is a DBus/hald problem.
>
> Also could you do the following
>
> - Mouse unplugged :
>
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald stop
> # /usr/local/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes>>  /tmp/hald_debug.log 2>&1
> # dbus-launch lshal>>  /tmp/dbus_hal_debug.log 2>&1
>
> - plug mouse
>
> # dbus-launch lshal>>  /tmp/dbus_hal_debug.log 2>&1
>

> And post the content of both log files ? That should help in understanding what is going on. In the worst case there are mecanism that will keep HAL from tinkering/probing usb mouse.

Here :

	the hald log file :

		http://dl.free.fr/rqLTgOvPS

	(I put some blank ligne juste before I plug the mouse)

	the dbus log file before I plug the mouse :

		http://dl.free.fr/iDgqyLgu6

	and the dbus log file after I plug the mouse :

		http://dl.free.fr/lZuRadJFx

I'm not qualified  to said if it's hald/dbus problem, FreeBSD-Stable
problem or both. I don't think it's a FreeBSD-Stable problem because in the
dmesg we see the mouse plug

ugen5.2: <vendor 0x413c> at usbus5
ums1: <vendor 0x413c Dell Premium USB Optical Mouse, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.09, addr 2> on usbus5
ums1: 5 buttons and [XYZT] coordinates ID=0

Regards.

JAS

--
Albert SHIH