Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:54:10 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>, driesm.michiels@gmail.com,  "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Current state of recent wireless cards

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 14:33, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 11:36:59 +0000
> "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On 9 Jul 2020, at 11:24, driesm.michiels@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dreis,
> >
> > > I was wondering what the current state of the following wireless cards
> > > is:
> > >
> > > *   Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (T490 wifi card)
> > > *   Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (T14 wifi card)
> >
> > I am currently working under FreeBSD Foundation Sponsorship to get us
> > full Intel HW support for all the new cards and up to 11ac wireless.
> >
> > The first half is done ( see
> >
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-wireless/2020-July/009233.html
> > ) which is the PCI attachments work, the firmware loads and starts.
>
>  That's a bit optimistic that attach and firmware loading is half of
> the work no ?
>  I don't know how much linuxkpi layer is needed for 80211 compat but I
> guess it's "a lot" ?
>
> >  Now
> > there?s a dual-case to be finished: net80211 11ac infrastructure to
> > finish, which Adrian has started the last years, and we?ll see how
> > much of a Linux compat layer we?ll manage to have (which would also
> > help other drivers to be ported over more easily).
>
>  IIRC Linux have multiple 80211 framework no ?
>  I guess your work only focus on one (used by iwlwifi), do you know how
> many drivers used the same one ? What about FullMAC drivers like the
> SDIO broadcom one used in many ARM SBC, is that using the same
> framework ?
>
> > The hope is that we?ll have full 11ac before the end of the year.
>
>  Hope or goal ? :)

My goal is to get basic AP and STA operation in 11ac working on this ath10k
driver in -HEAD by the end of the year.

That way we can expose the needed stack and regulatory changes to a wider
audience and shake out what I'm sure are a lot of weird bugs before we
start trying to tackle many more drivers and 11ax/11ad.

My TODO list on my ath10k fork is actually getting close to done, at least
for the QCA9880 chip (the first generation one.) Geramy and BZ have been
great in finding issues and poking at solutions. There are only a few more
big TODO items before I start on the "remove the dead code" and "fix the
left over linux-y locking issues" portion of this port.

There are also issues with the later QCA6174 chips and QCA9888 (4x4, called
beeliner) which I need to shake out, but that shouldn't stop it landing in
the tree for some further testing by others.

-adrian