Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 99 10:34:27 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
To:        Ken Draper <robokrikit@mminternet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: LAN question (routing)

-- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>     I've asked about this on freebsd-newbies, but have been directed here
for
> better assistance.. I recently set up my first FreeBSD box, and I'm
interested
> in using it as a router between a small LAN and the inet. I've read up
quite a
> bit on the subject, and know what should be required to get things
operating,
> but I have a complication.. My ISP (dedicated ADSL line) assigned me
several
> static IPs to use (though not a full subnet). Generally in the FAQs and
HOWTOs
> for routing, I see two seperate subnets being connected, often using IP
> aliasing. The IPs I've been assigned are in the same subnet as the gateway
(at
> my ISP) that my router would need to connect to (naturally). Will I be
able to
> use these IPs within my LAN, though they're in the same subnet my router
would
> be connecting to?

Let's put this thing clear. I understand you have a router.

	   -|     _____			  _____
Your LAN    |----|_____|------ADSL-------|_____|-----Internet
	   -|  Your Router             Your Gateway

Right?

Well, you must have a LAN Block of IP address with a subnet mask. And you
must have a ADSL interface IP address that is on the same subnet of the ADSL
interface on the Gateway.

Aswering your question, you cannot use the same subnet IP addresses on your
LAN and WAN port of your router, It will simply not allow to. It would be
helpful to list the IP address (not the real ones) you have and the one of
your gateway. Also to see the subnet mask.

Hope this helps.

Pablo Quintana
HONDURAS