Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:24:22 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual PPro & Bt848

Randall Hopper scribbled this message on Jul 9:
>  |2. Wincast will still ocasionaly hangs with IDE timeouts. By far not as
>  |bad as before, but still happens.. BUT, I discovered something that might
>  |have been causing me problems. I was IRQ sharing between my ethernet and
>  |video card. I am trying to get a Digiboard so that I can free up some of
>  |my IRQ's.
>
> Nuts, from your previous comments I thought we had that licked on your 486.
> Well, at least you can do ximages and the CPU load isn't heavy anymore.  As
> Amancio's mentioned, this sounds like a MB chipset issue.  Since the
> Windoze S/W works for you, there's evidently something that can be done,
> but it might be a difficult find.  It's interesting though that all the
> Pentium+ MBs don't see this particular problem.

well..  that ain't true...  I reciently upgraded my machine to a k5/90
and I'm still having problems...  granted the mb isn't an Intel, but
I was still able to crash the machine by doing nothing... of course do
to the way FreeBSD will randomly sync out buffers, it still might be
caused by bus being tied up...

I readlly have no idea what my be causing the lock ups...  but my gut
says it's related to the scsi card...  once I upgrade my scsi controler
I'll try again...

Bernie, are you running multiblock ide?  and if so have you tried to turn
it off?  just a thought...

but Ximages mode does work nicely...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD