Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:08:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: logging to a different tty

Sam Carleton wrote to FreeBSD Questions:

> I really like the fact that everything that goes to the /var/log/message
> goes to the screen, but I am trying to get the ipfw working correctly
> and I would like the messages to goto a tty that I am not logged into,
> such as 9.  I cut things back to only 6 tty's, so X runs on F7.  How
> would I go about having the logging goto 9 rather then the one that root
> is logged into?
>
> Sam

Firstly, if you haven't done so, read syslog.conf(5).  What you want to do
is certainly controlled by /etc/syslog.conf

Messages output to the first vty are actually messages output to
/dev/console.  Unless you do something different like run syslogd as
another user != root, you can simply replace /dev/console with something
like /dev/ttyv8, for the 9th virtual terminal.

If you want to disable the output of those log messages entirely (from the
sound of your messages, I think that may be what you're after), set the
device to /dev/null, but be prepared to miss a few important notices.

Some messages are output to any terminal that root is logged into, and
some log messages are output to everyone (i.e., critical errors, shutdown
notices, etc.)  You may want to modify those as well.

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2