Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:36:29 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

Hi Chris,

> > The only limit on the DP83815 is the requirement for 32 bit
> > alligned RX buffers. Otherwise it has all the good features and is
> > cheap, $7 in 1K quantity.
>
> Not bad.  But what is the cost of some of the better chips such as the
> DEC/Intel 21143 or even an Intel 8255x at that quantity?

First, I consider the DP83815 a great chip until proven otherwise
:-)

The 21143 is not really an option anymore after Intel bought DEC's
chip business. It's an old chip without the newest feature, and it
need an external phy. And I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly
got discontinued, like most of the other DEC chips....

Intel has the 82559ER as a low cost chip for embedded
applications. It's a nice chip and cost $12 in the same 1K volume,
but I'm not too happy about it's tiny 1mm pitch BGA package.

But I really don't want to use Intel part if I can avoid it, we
all know about their opinion about relasing information for open
source projects, and they don't really care about small outfits
like me.... I've very bad experience with them in the past.

Regards,

Soren