Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:43:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Fixer Corp <service@fixer.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: El Torito

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Fixer Corp wrote:

> I just pruchased FreeBSD 4.7.  It requires a CDROM with El Torito
> support.  My computer was purchased in 1998 and the owners manual does
> not say anything about El Torito.  When I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.0, it
> did not support my Sony CDROM, so I bought an ATAPI CDROM.
>
> There is no way I'm purchasing a new computer so I can run version 4.7.
>
> If you know of any workarounds.  Please let me know.

Well, check around your BIOS for the setting that modifies what order the
PC tries to boot off of different devices.  You may be able to have it
boot off of the CD-ROM.

If not, you can use two floppys disks in order to boot the installer.
Check Section 2.2.7 of
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html
for instructions on how to do this.

Also, you will probably find the FreeBSD Handbook very useful if you are
new to FreeBSD.  It is available online at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html or
/usr/share/doc/en/books/handbook/index.html once you have a FreeBSD system
installed.

Hope this helps.