Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:08:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Tsung-li Wu <twu2@eos.ncsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NE2000 card setup

On 10 January, 1998, at 01:59 (-0500)
Tsung-li Wu <twu2@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> I tried to install two NE2000 cards in a 486 machine, and
> the related data are as following:
>
> interface    I/O    IRQ  Memory Address
> ed0          220     5      d8000
> ed1          300     3      d8000
>
> Obviously, there is a conflict between two d8000s,
> how should I assign the two Memory Addresses to
> avoid the conflict? What if I install a third one?

What address/IRQ combinations are supported by the card?  The 16-bit SMC
Ultras I have support a few different combinations of IRQs and RAM
addresses by jumpering the card; additional combinations are available
through software configuration.  Perhaps your card is similar; check the
documentation for the card.  Addresses D0000 and CC000 are fairly commonly
supported, but you'll need to configure the card itself, not just the
FreeBSD kernel.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
You can tell how far we have to go, when FORTRAN is the language of
supercomputers.
        -- Steven Feiner