Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:28:27 +0200
From:      Geoffroy RIVAT <ml@geoffroy.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: providing web based DNS management to customers

Hi Michael,

Michael DeMan (OA) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What are folks doing for providing web based DNS management to customers?
>
> I've looked at a lot of open source products over time, but never found
> one that was enough to say "Thats it, lets integrate it!".
>
> It always seems that the tricky part is reverse DNS.  PowerDNS and other
> tools (at least a few years ago) offered reasonable support for forward
> DNS management on a per-user basis, but not reverse, or at least not
> reverse in the sense that we only want customers to be able to modify
> the reverse DNS of say a single IP, or a subnet, etc.

for this I'm using powerdns + poweradmin (but you can use another system)

for only 1 IP i do 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa IN CNAME reverse.custdomain.tld

and reverse.custdomain.tld IN PTR coolreverse.domain.tld.

for a subnet :

1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa IN CNAME 1.reverse.custdomain.tld
2.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa IN CNAME 2.reverse.custdomain.tld
3.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa IN CNAME 3.reverse.custdomain.tld

it's explained in an rfc but I can't remember the numbre.

Regards,

Geo