Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:34:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   oss sound system vs. FreeBSD native

I'm wondering whether I should stay with the oss sound kld module
or use a FreeBSD native driver built into the kernel.

I have a GUS MAX in my olde 5x86 (Amd 100MHz) - still being my workhorse
machine (ISDN gateway, attached to a 100Mbit LAN).

What happens is that the oss kld module (FreeBSD 3.2 now, 3.3 later)
hangs after being loaded. trying to bail out with ^C casuse the xterm
to become unresponsive.

Trying ps -ax in another window makes this window to hang as well.
Trying to shutdown finally results in a panic after hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL
when X11 has been brought down. All in all I'm unhappy
with the situation as it is now. Midi files come out totally
fragmented and rendered to unrecognizability.

It may be a problem with the ISA hardware but I'm not sure. I will take
out that le0 Dec lance ethernet card now since I don;t need two network
cards any longer. Maybe this will detent the ISA bus situation in my machine
a bit.
Though I believe to remember that this very system once ran midi files
like a charm.

I also don't want to change he sound card with every new attempt of getting
vat/vic tools working again.

So what's your advice, folks?