Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2002 21:24:28 +0400
From:      "Dmitry S. Rzhavin" <dima@rt.ru>
To:        mike.jablonski@abnamrousa.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snort + vlans

mike.jablonski@abnamrousa.com wrote:

> you need to enable the span port feature.

Sorry, seems my explain was too bad.
I have internal FW. It is connected to cat2924
with xl0 at 100Mbit.
Switch port is in trunk mode.
there is 2 vlans on xl0: vlan0 and vlan1.
There is no ip on xl0.
My defaultouter (cisco 26XX) is in vlan0 (trunk too).
My office subnet is on vlan1 (all office hosts
configured as vlan 1 on switch).

So, my box works as router+FW between vlan0 and vlan1.
Now it works.

So, I want to setup snort to detect attacks.
What iface (xl0, vlan0, or what) shall I bind snort
(snort -i flag) to make it analyze both internal
and external traffic?

Another question is: cisco detects vlans with vtp
protocol. Does FreeBSD supports it?