Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:47:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hylafax & flexfax

> >  * It'll be my first CVS create & commit on freefall (I did some CVS exercise
> >  * locally a while ago), so a canned dummy outline script (even just a few hi
> nts)
> >  * from someone might be nice; also what about the later `rm' stage ?
> >  * someone want to assert policy, or expound about Attic etc ?
> >  * I'm easy, whatever you CVS folks say, I'll do (re. CVS anyway ;-)
> >
> > Try
>
> [A bunch of useful stuff removed]
>
> Does this mean that {selected} folks are being allowed to commit things?

No, is what they are talking about above is we have implemented new policy
with respect to doing work directly in the cvs repository behind the back
of cvs.  This new policy is pretty simple, DON'T.  If direct repository
work needs to be done, it is to be sent to me for analysis and action.

This policy came about because on several occasions we had problems
created by things done incorrectly here that had either destroyed history
or several damaged cvs idea of it.

The list of folks allowed to commit changes has always been a selective
process, but there is not a very restrictive policy placed on this access.

> A while ago JKH? suggested that a CVS boffin will contact me somtime
> and teach me the ropes. This was in connection with a peeve that sometimes
> patches went ignored for a while.

I am one of the said CVS boffin, and here is my 3 minute how to get
started with cvs lesson: (The 3 minutes is how long it takes me to
give the lesson, your time to complete it will very).

1)  Read the man page for cvs, completely top to bottom.

2)  Go do #1 a second time.

3)  Read /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/FAQ [Argg.. we clobber the rcs ID
    on this file when we imported it :-(] from a -current source tree.

4)  Note that we do not want our cvs users to use pathnames when
    refering to files in the repository, this is done via module
    names (see ~ncvs/CVSROOT/modules on FreeFall)

5)  Start you work with cvs with simple things like a patch to some
    file.

	a) cd ~
	b) mkdir cvswork	# most of us use this to do all cvs work in
	c) cd cvswork
	d) cvs co ps		# ps is the module name for src/bin/ps
	e) cd ps
	f) patch <diff		# I always bring diffs to freefall, typeing
				# over a busy 14.4 line is a pain now :-(
	g) cvs commit		# Up comes a vi screen after locks are set
				# and state is checked.  Entry a descriptive
				# list of things changed and why they have
				# been changed.  [See commit mail for good
				# examples!]
	h) cd ..
	i) cvs release -d ps	# This releases the module (see cvs -hi)
				# and deletes your work copy.

	j) Sit back and feel good know that you know there is one
	   less bug in FreeBSD.

> I have not pushed the issue as I can see how busy you all are (so am I!).
> If this is already happening, any chances of getting involved too?

You have your homework, when it is done, come back to me and I will
turn on a FreeFall account (incase you don't have one) and grant you
access to cvs.