Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 11:30:21 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth limiter available

At 01:28 PM 5/15/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Mike Smith wrote:
>-snip-
>> > The last thing we need on our way is a Cisco-IOS shell integrating all
>> > those features under the well-known IOS command syntax.
>>
>> I will say that is, indeed, the very last thing we need.
>
>Why not? You have one common syntax for all network related
>configurations.
>I don't mean that as shell for the whole FreeBSD box, just for network
>config. Simply type 'iosh' and do all your ifconfig's, route's and
>bgp/ospf seamless.

Because the unix command set is more "standard" than IOS, and IOS
is poorly done in many areas because of the limitation in user interface
resources. Surely an interface to generate gated configs would be useful,
but to trash the well-known and powerful unix interface for IOS would be
ridiculous.

Dennis