Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:59:13 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Quiet cpu fans

** -----Original Message-----
** From: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
** [mailto:owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Kris Kirby
** Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 8:30 PM
** To: David Scheidt
** Cc: chat@FreeBSD.ORG
**
** On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, David Scheidt wrote:
**
** > My solution at home was to have a diskless 486, only needs
** a power supply fan, on my
** > desk, and the real machine in another room.  It died, so I
** have the dual CPU
** > box on the desk at home, with two cpu fans, a powersupply
** fan, a case fan, a
** > fan in an ISA slot, and a fan on a disk drive, fans in the
** external disk
** > box, CDR, and tape drives.  It drives me absolutely nuts.
**
** Turn up your music or start wearing earplugs. I actually
** take advantage of
** the noise though. Most of my machines do not have power LEDs
** because I've
** cut the connectors down the middle and use them for SCSI.
** (These machines
** are also equip'd with IDE, which is used, or a second SCSI card.)
**
** Besides, real machines don't need idiot light, because they
** are never off.

I used to spend my days working next to all my equipment.  A cisco 2501,
a pair of Max 4000s, and a handfull of servers.  I actually had a hard
time staying awake.  All that white noise is enough to knock anyone out.

When we moved our office, I was actually hoping that our equipemnt room
would have enough space for a cot so we'd have a good place to take
naps, but that didn't work out.  :(

-Troy