Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        "Adam L. Simpson" <adam2@netsonic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable Fatal Trap 12 when increasing maxusers

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Adam L. Simpson wrote:

> So you are saying do a cvsup, makeworld then rebuild the kernel right away
> when you say relink..   sounds like thats what the problem is...
> appreciate it.

Yes--every time you remake the world, you must rebuild and install the
kernel.  Try the buildkernel and installkernel make targets from /usr/src:

(you've just buildworlded, but haven't yet installworlded)
# make buildkernel
[ ... cruncha cruncha cruncha ... ]
# make installkernel KERNEL=kernel

This will install a GENERIC kernel--once you're up and running with the
new build, you can build a custom kernel (cvsup doesn't touch your old
custom kernel config file).  The KERNEL=kernel line will ensure your new
kernel is installed as /kernel, rather than /GENERIC, which won't boot
(and will leave your old, incompatible kernel in place--I found this out
the hard way).

In order to rebuild a system which won't boot because it's choking on
something it loads at boot time (from /etc/rc and friends), try booting in
single-user mode.

WR
--
William Richard