Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2024 08:14:01 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Beamer <me@beamout.net>
Cc:        freebsd-desktop@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question: setting up Plasma Wayland session

Beamer <me@beamout.net> writes:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 00:02:34 +0200
> Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Evgeniy Khramtsov <2khramtsov@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > Does anyone run Plasma Wayland session (not nested via e.g. sway)?
>> >
>> > Are there any how-tos and/or out-of-tree patches to start it?
>>
>> Better ask on kde@ maillist. I'm not aware of anyone (except CheriBSD
>> folks) working on Plasma/Wayland but also don't participate in any
>> semi-private discussions at various meetings, conferences, etc.
>>
>> The first Wayland DE on FreeBSD would probably be one of the minor ones
>> like LXQT, XFCE, MATE, Budgie or maybe even Cosmic. The major DEs need
>> as "major" time investment but GPL projects make BSD vendors shy away.
>> And there aren't many permissively-licensed DEs: Enlightment, Lumina,
>> nwg-shell. Of those nwg-shell is probably the easiest to port but
>> may still entail more work than any of the minor DEs under GPL.
>>

> Something like this might work:
>
> dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland

Did you confirm it does work on FreeBSD? I can't afford downtime to
activate BEs in order to test/debug standalone Plasma/Wayland. Jailed
under Wayfire Plasma 5 works fine but Plasma 6 crashes (bug 279753).

> I'm not sure if the startplasma-wayland command works correctly. Check the KDE docs, you might need to modify some comands:
> https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland#Start_a_Plasma_session_on_Wayland

On FreeBSD the above needs ck-launch-session prepended in order to
create XDG_RUNTIME_DIR and delegate /dev/dri/* and /dev/input/* access.
Plasma upstream doesn't support libseat[1][2][3], so cannot use more
simple/robust pam_xdg + seatd.

Over the years numerious users have reported that starting Plasma/Wayland
results in black screen with/without KDE logo. Plasma 5.21 did work (confirmed
myself) when adridg@ fixed upstream bugs but quickly regressed after. Fixing
bug 265505 was probably not enough or new regressions appeared.

Recent reports on FreeBSD Forums and Discord suggest Plasma/Wayland is
still broken. However, some of those can be attributed to SDDM bugs or
misconfiguration. Determining the actual state is kde@ responsibility.

[1] libseat is used by wlroots, Smithay, Weston to abstract away logind
    vs. consolekit2 vs. seatd dependency. Without libseat Wayland support
    is usually non-trivial to port on FreeBSD, so GNOME/Wayland (bug 271836)
    and Enlightment/Wayland (bug 251988) are stalled indefinitely.
[2] CheriBSD added libseat support to KWin in their ports/ tree. That may
    be more stable than relying on consolekit2 to behave like logind or
    Plasma/Wayland not to expose consolekit2 bugs which don't affect Plasma/X11.
[3] According to https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/648
    upstream doesn't like libseat and prefers to deal with consolekit2
    directly like https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/936