Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 12:03:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      <chad@shire.net>
To:        <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apple's Jaguar announcement

>>From the e-Press release announcing the newest version of Mac OS X:
>
>>*       UNIX Tools, the latest UNIX advancements including FreeBSD 4.4
>>updates, the new GCC 3 compiler, IPv6 and IPSec;
>

> Does anyone know if Apple has applied the security fixes to FreeBSD 4.4
> in their new OS, or could it be that they meant the BSD 4.4
> distribution?

they mean FreeBSD 4.4, which they use as a major source of their BSD
userland stuff.  OS X is a different beast under the hood though.  The
previous (current) OS X userland is based on FreeBSD 3.4 I believe.

Chad
FreeBSD on the servers (and maybe a future workstation), OS X everywhere
else (with a lone W2K box that can dual boot into Mandrake 8.0)