Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:43:09 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015256590.7783a9@mired.org>
To:        Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -a

Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net> types:
>   If I have the following filesystems mounted
>
>   /dev/ad0s1    /
>   /dev/ad1s1	/usr
>   /dev/ad2s1	/usr/obj
>
> and [1] try to unmount /usr, then it will fail unless I unmount /usr/obj first.
>
> However, [2] if I issue mount -a, then / will get remounted, but /usr and
> /usr/obj won't, according to the manpage.
>
> So I was asking : how come [2] works when [1] doesn't ?

Because [1] is unmounting the file system, where [2] is updating an
already mounted one.

Try doing "mount -u /usr", and it should work just fine. To see
changes, you want to mount /usr with something set different from the
default when you first mount it.

> If that is how the system call works, then that's the answer to my question -
> it just seems very strange.

See the mount(2) man page, in particular the MNT_UPDATE flag.

	<mike