Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:29:29 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0-stable cvsup tag

At 08:04 PM 3/4/99 , Spidey wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
>
>Na... I was on 3.0R, and tried to go to 3.0S, but the standard
>stable-supfiles were with the tag RELENG_2_2 in the CD!!!

My 2.2.8-R stable-supfile said RELENG_2_2 too :)
You have to remember that when 3.0R came out, RELENG_3 didn't exist yet.
3.0 was still -CURRENT.

>Well, I haven't got that far yet... It seems that -stable is unstable, as
>I'm unable to complete a make world... but thanks for the tip!

See if you can get a copy of the error messages (man script), search the
mailing list archives, post to the list, etc.

>> I'm afraid I can't offer any more help, as I went from 2.2.8-R straight to
>> 3.0-S via the make aout-to-elf route and subsequent make worlds.
>
>Was that easy? just curious...

Yes, actually. I read through "Ruslan Ermilov's upgrading docs found
at http://www.ucb.crimea.ua/~ru/FreeBSD/30upgrade.html" and "``Making the
world'' your own By Nik Clayton at
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html".
 Then I installed the mergemaster port, did a CVSup, then a 2-part
aout-to-elf upgrade as per Ruslan's instructions. I remade my /dev
according to Nik's instructions (since mergemaster didn't seem to take care
of that for me). Except for having to 'rm -R
/sys/i386/conf/../../compile/TOY' in order to get 'make depend' to work
right with a new kernel compile, I didn't have any problems.

Well, actually I did have one problem, and that was because I did a 'make
depend ; make ; make install' instead of 'make depend && make && make
install' so it installed a previously compiled 2.2.8-R kernel in place of
my brand new ELF kernel. I just booted with kernel.old (the 3.0-S generic
kernel made during the upgrade) and remade a new 3.0-S kernel.

Since the upgrade to stable, I've done one make world and am currently
experimenting with vinum (think I've got it right this time).

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441