Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 20:59:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Pine strangeness

I am suddenly noticing, when using pine, that sometimes my outgoing
messages cause pine to hang.  I can no long use ^Z to suspend pine, and no
other keyboard keys work.  I can use kill procno -STOP to suspend it, but
no other signals seem to free it.  The state ps sees is "S+", the man page
on ps says thats "process sleeping for less than 20 seconds".  Believe me,
I've waited far longer than that.  Oh, my environment is -current, on an
SMP box.

I'd like to fix this myself; does anyone have any tips I could use for
doing this, next time it hangs?  I'm going to replace my pine binary with
one compiled with debug symbols ... but maybe something else could tell me
what pine could be hung with?

I don't have any indication yet what's really causing it, so I can't make
it reoccur with any regularity.  It's happened 3 times in the last week.
As anyone reading this list knows, there's a lot of mail going thru it.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |